Sunday, January 8, 2012

The blog that got me a date and the followup post


[These blog posts are from 2009 and may or may not reflect my current views.]

Blog 1 

Readers of this blog may know that passive guys drive me crazy--and not in a good way.

To be completely straight, dear reader, I have been burned. And I am not, nor will I ever be, a neutral commentator on the passive male phenomenon. In fact, I probably have nothing new to say. 

"Blah, blah, blah, passive guys suck." 

Nonetheless, here are a few thoughts: 

1. Everytime I/somegirl criticizes passive men, I/they feel compelled to add something along the lines of, "But we really shouldn't be too hard on the poor emotionally stunted wimps, because then they will simply retreat even further into the narcissistic void of lapsed masculinity." 

2. Criticizing passive men is a remarkable waste of time. 

3. Men are passive (eg "hanging out" instead of "asking out") because it benefits them. This isn't rocket science, but at its heart, the whole "asking out" system of male pursuit benefits women, not men. 

Women get to feel wanted. Men get to be (potentially) rejected. 

"Just hanging out" benefits men (or should I say "boys"?). All of the benefits of female companionship without a) Having to pay for anything, and b) The possibility of rejection. 

The girl eventually gets hurt by his (passive) rejection, and he moves on to hang out with someone else. What's not to like? 

4. Until we have a dating culture that stops rewarding passivity, nothing will change. 

5. I have figured out that if a guy isn't willing to risk rejection with me, then he isn't worth it. 

Blog 2

(This is part of an email to a (guy) friend who read my previous blog)

I agree, it's a complex issue. Often for girls the guys they don't want to ask them out do, and the ones they do don't. So when a girl complains about a passive guy, the issue could really be that she likes him, but he doesn't like her. 

Also, would you rather a girl "give you a chance" or tell you upfront that you don't have a chance (if that's the case)? Just as guys have trouble getting rejected, girls have trouble doing the rejecting while trying not to hurt the guy's feelings. 

Also, some girls have no problem whatsoever with more passive guys. These are usually girls who know what they want and are more than willing to control/direct nearly every aspect of the relationship. I'm just not that kind of person. It sounds exhausting. 

Also, although it seems like it's the guy doing all the work, usually the girl non-verbally "asks" the guy to ask her out before he does so. You know, body language and such. 

(I've done this with several passive guys, and though it took them long enough, they did ask me out. It's really a seize-the-moment kind of thing. Wait too long and duck season may be over.)

Also, creepy guys can be a lot of things, but they are rarely passive. 

Also, it's not just asking her out, it's how you act on the date. I had one guy ask me out to the movies. He kind of made a big deal about it. On the evening of the actual date, he acted like he would rather be doing LSAT logic problems. 

He acted like he didn't care. And despite the fact that I know he did care--probably a lot--I couldn't reconcile myself to being with a guy who would rather appear nonchalant than wait for me before walking out of a building. 

Even now, when I picture him, I see his back. 

He's walking away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment